Friday, June 25, 2010

when do you have time??

No pictures right now. I'm not at my computer or camera. I'm at a neighbor's house waiting while the carpet is cleaned and while I wait I'm checking out blogs, blogs, blogs on his computer. Not reading the book I brought with me, but enjoying the view of the lake from this desk and reading blogs. This makes me wonder. How in the world do you guys get any quilting (or crocheting or sewing) done? What time of day do you work on projects? Are you so prolific because you use sewing machines? I quilt and piece by hand 99% of the time. Yes, it is slower but the sewing machine and I are not friends. I get too tense, it stares at me, it keeps me tethered to the outlet. Piecing and quilting by hand gives me the option of being on the back porch conversing with Mrs. Wren, or sitting in the yard or curled in my favorite chair with old movies going. Or sitting anywhere listening to an audio book. Besides, there are so many other things that need doing! And then there's the blogging. I absolutely LOVE this meeting of the minds from all over the world, even if I don't comment on many, I do read them and marvel at the wonders everyone is creating. But it takes time!!!
Yesterday we (my daughter and her two daughters) went picking raspberries and cherries. We missed great photo opportunities because in the haste to get the 3 year old and 8 month old out of the door during our small window of opportunity (read: good moods) we both forgot the cameras. So, as Elizabeth picked her own berries and Adelaide watched and nibbled on berries, and Elizabeth ran and ran over the hills at the cherry orchard and peeked at us through the fruit full branches, we missed it all except for in our memories.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! I am a firm believer in hand piecing and hand quilting and am so happy that I'm in such good company! Yes, the machine is faster but done by hand is so much more fun and relaxing and the end result is spectacular. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do use a machine but would love to be able to do it by hand..........if you could find some more hours in the day that would be good..........oh I wished I could function on 6hrs sleep......if only...

    ReplyDelete
  3. no pictures, but an interesting post none the less. there is never enough time to do all that we want to do, our lives are not long enough! i am like you, i prefer to hand piece rather than machine because of the portability of the project. yesterday though i rotary cut a quilt out that i am going to do on the machine, in fact i can't waste any more time! i am off to start it now!

    ReplyDelete