Sunday, August 22, 2010

Fiber Fest Finds

Last Friday Patient Husband accompanied me to Fiber Fest. This is a touchy feely festival for people who love felting, knitting, weaving, spinning and all that goes with it. I don't felt, weave, spin or knit much but I love going to this festival. Sometimes I look for specific things while I'm there and sometimes I just wander the aisles of exhibitors (there are BUILDINGS of exhibitors!) and wander through the animal pens petting sheep noses.

This year I was looking for things to weave into my garden loom especially come spring when the birds are busy building their homes. I wanted rovings in colors and anything else I could find but I didn't want highest quality considering the outcome of the purchases.

I found what I was looking for and made a really good contact I plan to confirm tomorrow. This person, when I showed her a picture of my garden loom, said she will send me a box full of yarns that are cast offs. She is a sales rep for a yarn company and she LOOKS for ways to get rid of her yarns! Imagine!

This is what I bought:

Aren't these beautiful dyed locks? They are SOOOO soft, they look like a freshly permed head of hair! I think they'll dangle off grape vine tendrils...

These are the dyed rovings. I looked for springy colors and there is a nice green combination in there, too.


I have a couple of very talented neighbors who do woodworking. I asked Friend Walter if he would make a couple of wooden needles. I needed them to be about a foot long, big eyes, tapered ends for weaving things in my garden loom. This is what he came up with and they are perfect. Perfect.

After Fiber Fest we stopped at a restaurant called The Grill House for lunch. They have these wonderfully comfortable gliders on the patio and if you are lucky enough to get one, lunch can take a very long time. What a relaxing way to eat a meal! I had the most amazing tilapia wrap with peach salsa. OMG it was good! Patient Husband was looking over the beer selection and settled on one called "400 Pound Monkey"



Creative space this week saw me finishing those long unfinished projects. I finished the Christmas block for the retreat I'm going to in October, I am putting the binding on the sampler that I took my very first quilting lessons on (!!!) and pinned the batting and back to the scrappy flower quilt Elizabeth wants. The gingerbread men are done, too. There is a new development in the saga of Christine. I'll talk about that another time. I have to make sure she understands.





No comments:

Post a Comment