Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Bookwoman

I, Bookwoman, went from this:


To THIS!!


Yes, I did it. I, Bookwoman, bought a gadget. A book gadget. I'm very excited about it. After months of research and years watching the price come finally down to my level, I bought a Kindle. And I'm really loving it! Everyone looks at me askance " You? YOU have a Kindle???!!!???"

Yes, me. Will I stop buying books? Not ever! But I've put two books on this dandy little thing and have one in the wings. There's a nice feature that lets you read a chapter or two before committing to a purchase, and of course, after reading a chapter or two you DO make the purchase. One of the biggest selling points for me was the text to audio feature. With the push of a button the book is being read TO me. This little feature will make the reading go much faster on the two hour commute everyday. I'll get so much more reading done! The commute will no longer be boring and long! Something productive can be happening!

I love my books. I love smelling my books. I love stroking my books. I love buying and reading my books. I love looking at my books all lined up crookedly on the bookshelves (this is just one room o' books in this house.) I love pulling one down and remembering how much I enjoyed it. I love looking at the photography books with a magnifying glass.

But, from the moment the Kindle was on the market I told Patient Husband there was a place for this gadget. Little did I know it would be such a BIG place. I carry the gadget with me and it's a lot lighter than the book. It's easier to read while eating because I'm not trying to hold the book open with my beverage container, and if I finish a book I can buy another one immediately. This will come in very handy when on vacation and the most trying thing I pack is the bag o'books. I can't take just one. What if I finish it and what if the one I take as a replacement I find I don't like? I have to have three or four with me at all times, just in case, and that takes up room in the suitcase or car. This handy little device will do nicely.

I have to go now. I have a real book waiting. I chose The Distant Hours by Kate Morton and recommend it. I also recommend her other books: The House at Riverton and The Forgotten Garden.

2 comments:

  1. how exciting..........enjoy your new reading experience.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your newest 'book'! I've wanted to try that...but like you...I love HOLDING and turn my pages! Books are FRIENDS!

    ReplyDelete