Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tiptoe through the tulips

Thursday was one of those beautiful days we generally see in May. But this is April. We decided to stop in the city of Holland on the way home to look at the tulips. Holland hosts a Tulip Festival every year....in May. This year because of our very warm weather everything is about a month ahead of time. Even the tulips. This has the Tulip Festival people very worried and for good reason.
I like tulips. In other people's yards. In bouquets. I like the early perky primary colors so early in the spring. But I don't like them in my yard (we don't all have to like everything, do we?) After they're done blooming, we're stuck with the stems. Waiting sometimes for weeks and weeks for them to die down. Looking ugly and straggly and yellow as they do. So I enjoy them very much in bouquets and in other people's yards and Thursday as we walked through the fields of them in Holland.

Patient Husband saw these and said, "Look! These have teeth!!"
I liked the shadows of these on the edge of ...
these fields - rows and rows and rows of crayon box color.
I was told by my favorite strawberry grower that berries could be out in the middle of May. Usually we plan on strawberries in the middle of June. Strawberry pie for Mother's Day instead of Father's Day? Whoa!

No comments:

Post a Comment