Wednesday, April 25, 2012

World Book Night

This past Monday, April 23, I took part in World Book Night.  I was part of a group of volunteers who were in 5,000 towns and cities across America giving away free books.  The purpose was to reach out to, specifically, non-readers in the community. In the U.S. 500,000 books were given out, all underwritten by publishers, printers and the authors of the selected books didn't accept royalties.  The goal was one million books (as it is in Great Britain and Germany) but this is the first year for the U.S. participation and there were logistical problems.  Still, 500,000 books given away in one day is pretty impressive. 

I was given a list of books to choose from and decided to give Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo.  It's an elementary age chapter book.  I remember specifically when I was handed this book by our premier children's bookstore in town, Pooh's Corner.  They stopped me as I walked in the door, "you must take this one!"  I looked at the cover (never judge a book by its cover!) and saw there was a dog.  "I can't.  I just can't read about dogs that die.  I can't take it."   "No! " they said, "the dog doesn't die!!"   OK, I took it.  I read it and loved it.  The teachers in 3rd grade read it to their classes every year.  It's an endearing book of friendship, loveable dogs and a young girl trying to figure things out.  Absolutely wonderful.
    So, I applied to be a giver and told that I would distribute the books right at school.


The idea was to give the books to children who were capable of reading this book but might not have the economic means to OWN a book.  The third and fourth grade teachers easily gave me the names of 20 children.  I left the book on their desks.  Throughout the day I was thanked with big smiles.  And today they came up to me in the halls, in library and on the playground telling me how much they loved the story and which page they were on "already!"
     I'm excited about next year.  I hope World Book Night people keep my email address.

p.s.  Blogger has a new look and it's taking some getting used to but I CAN now highlight!

No comments:

Post a Comment