Saturday, August 18, 2012

You say tomAto I say tomOto

Remember this from last weekend?  Well, friend Laurie asked for the recipe.  I'm warning you, I travel near and far from the main recipe, but that's what I think you're supposed to do.  Follow it the first time then tweak it after that.  I do NOT use the crust they recommend because I did it once and it was has hard as concrete.  It was a cornmeal crust.  This is from the freezer section.  Just a plain ol' frozen pie crust.  This is the way the filling goes:

Filling:

1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 1/4 pounds mixed heirloom tomatoes
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons bread crumbs
3 Tablestpoons fresh chopped parsley
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
3/4 cup manchego cheese

Heat oven to 350.  Use pie weights and bake the crust for about 10 minutes. Remove pie weights and let cool.

Heat 1 TBSP olive oil in large skillet over medium heat and add the onion, cooking till golden.  Let cool. Meanwhile, thinly slice the tomatoes and toss with 1 tsp. kosher salt in a colander and let drain about 30 minutes.
 Increase oven to 375. Combine 3/4 cup manchego cheese, mozzarella, mayonnaise, breadcrumbs, 2 TBSP each chives and parsley, 1/45 tsp. each kosher salt and pepper and the cooked onion in a bowl. Toss. Spread in the crust.  Arrange the tomatoes on top. Drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper.  Bake until the tomatoes are browned, about 50 minutes. top with remaining herbs.

My variations:  Plain ol' tomatoes, not worrying if they are heirloom or not. Mix cherry tomatoes with big ones. No manchego cheese?  Use just mozzarella.  No parsley? No big deal...add more thyme. No fresh chives?  Use dried. The crust is not their cornmeal crust. 

I've made this pie as much as two times a week during tomato season.  It's absolutely delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! What about omitting the crust? I think it still might work as a side d ish, don't yous? if you like this, check out Farmgirl Fare's tomato piezone :) I think I'll add pesto in here somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete