Sunday, November 3, 2013

Leftovers


OK, so....The other day I was at the grocery store and honest, sometimes you just can't turn your back for a minute.  These jumped into my cart.  I had no control. None. As I scolded myself on the way home I had a brainstorm.  I don't have to BUY these things.  I can MAKE them!

During the summer I kind of go crazy making ice cream.  It's so simple, easy and superbly delicious there's no reason not to.  And I had several different kinds of leftover flavors still in the freezer.  Wait a minute.  Who has leftover ice cream??  That's like having leftover wine.  Come on, get real!
But I really did have some strawberry, some mint chip and some cherry chocolate chunk and some of that luscious lemon in the freezer.

 So, this morning I used a melon baller and made ice cream balls of all but the lemon ice cream.  Put them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and made sure they were really frozen hard.


Here's the other thing,though....
your freezer can't look like this.  You have to be able to get the sheet pan in somewhere.  I made it but it wasn't easy.




 PH went to the store for some Ghiradelli chocolate chips.  Don't even bother using anything less than this quality.  The meltability, the smoothness, it's the best when I dunk things into chocolate.  And then I just dropped those frozen little balls of ice cream into the chocolate and fished them out with a spoon
 and put them back on the cookie sheet to harden, which they did because the frozen ice cream solidified the chocolate immediately.  I put the tray back into the freezer for about 5 minutes and then

put them into a container, put the lid on and voila! Instant dessert someday when company comes.  They don't look perfect.  Perfect is highly over-rated. These say "a machine didn't make us!" The flavors are all mixed in so someone might bite into strawberry while someone else might get chocolate cherry chunk and someone else the mint chip.   PH thought I was brilliant.  Pshaw, it was nothing.

Disclaimer:  I can't guarantee what this would turn out like with regular grocery store ice cream if you decided to try this.  You really need good quality, custardy, sturdy ice cream.  The grocery store kind it too airy.  I guess you just have to go get yourself an ice cream churn and make some yourself.  It's addicting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment