Thursday, March 10, 2016

Pinning prep

I haven't been quilting much to show off other than working on the one I showed you a couple of weeks ago.  I'm on the last border so it's getting close.  Close enough that I wanted something else pinned to be ready to start on next. 
This was in the closet for  years.  So Friend Jan and I went to the church where she meets with other quilters once a week to quilt.  We use the long tables and with both of us pinning the job is finished quickly.
This was the other one we pinned.  The pieced blocks were part of a block exchange with our retreat group a couple of years ago.  We each gave a fat eighth to 10 people in our group and everyone used it somewhere in a block.  I wanted the quilt to be a little bigger so I made the little gingham basket blocks. My focus fabric was the fruits on the cream background.  It reminded me of summer and the fruit picking we do.  I really like this sweet little quilt.
Then Friend Jan showed me the two quilts their group is working on.  Both are in floor frames. Both were donated tops. The little group of 88 year-old quilters work the donated tops and raffle off the finished quilts.  This was a green and white tree pattern and it's really stark and simple in its design.  Very clean looking.  Jan (who is not 88 years old) said it's been in a closet for a long time and they don't know where it came from.



One of the women found this group of 50 state flowers embroidered on off white squares at a flea market and she bought them all for $10!  The work on the embroidery is perfect, the circle on each square tells the state each flower represents.  Jan put them together into the top.  It's quite beautiful when you see the stitching up close.


2 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing to do with a group of quilters. The pinning thing is my least favourite process. Those 88 year olds are a lively bunch I bet. This is what I love about quilters that have obviously made a lotta quilts, they can just keep going and give them away! I agree that summery quilt is very sweet, I am quite partial to gingham in quilts, actually I love gingham a lot, I have a long skirt in red and white gingham!
    Love to see the progress on those beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gosh! Just beautiful. I <3 the block exchange quilt. And how serendipitous--someone's carefully embroidered flowers, once tossed in the give-away bin, are now a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete